MEETING OPENED at 17:00, President John Rolfe welcomed 93 members and called on Member Travis Ingleby to recite the Homage.
HOMAGE FOR JUNE 2022
I take a moment to remind us of one story from Australia’s military history.
Between 10 to 14 June 2010 the Shah Wali Kot offensive in Kandahar Provence, Afghanistan was conducted by Australian Special Forces in conjunction with the Afghan National Army and US air support, in preparation for the coalition clearance of the province.
Fighting was intense on the second day of the operation when Australian and Afghan soldiers were fired upon by insurgents shortly after they disembarked from their helicopters, with the engagement lasting for 13 hours.
One Australian soldier and an Afghan soldier were wounded.
The valiant actions of 2 SAS Squadron on that day, as well as those of Alpha CCG, 2nd Commando Regiment at nearby Chenartu during the Battle of Eastern Shah Wali Kot, were recognised through the award of the first Australian Battle Honour since Vietnam.
Later, during further operations in the area on 21 June, three Australian commandos were killed, while another seven Australians and a US crewman were seriously injured when the US Army helicopter, they were travelling in crashed.
Lest We Forget
The President thanked Travis, who was present at the Battle of Eastern Shah Wali Kot, for suggesting and delivering the Homage.
We acknowledge the passing of our Esteemed Member “Fred” (Fritz) GFELLER, Army 53240, aged 95 on the 2 June. Members welcome to private funeral at Pinnaroo 10.30 Monday 20 June. (There will be no honour guard or flag folding as part of the service.)
Members toasted absent friends.
APOLOGIES – 31 were noted by the Secretary by RSVP emails and advised in the Register recorded by attending members. NO MORE Shout Outs worked out very, Thank You.
VISITORS / GUESTS: Peter Connelly, proud Dad of our Member Vince, was made most welcome and thanked with a round of applause.
Noting our Members attending Congress: Doug Simpson, Matt Moran and Stephen Barton, all on the Board of RSLWA who offered their Apologies – looking forward to attending soon!!
Four signups welcomed below:
- Melissa Emmett (“Mel” and 4 pawed companion “Enya”), Army, MP, RMC Band, 2 x E.Timor Sea Duty.
- Jason Bastaja aka “Bungee” – 15 years RAAF including “MEAO” deployment, NT & Pearce, Armaments.
- Jim Armstrong – Ex Royal Navy, service included the Falkland’s War.
- David Baird – RAAF 4 years, Melbourne/Pearce, still current Reservist.
Rousing welcome accorded to all.
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
Minutes of 9 May, having been available by email, website and hard copy, considered as read.
Moved by Jon McKenzie and Seconded by Alex Hatch that “the Minutes of the previous meeting be accepted”.
Noted, All in Favour & Carried.
Secretary reminded members that easy access to current and recent minutes, our By-Laws and Annexure are via our website:
(Additionally, there will be hard copies at the front of the Hall at meetings, and Members unable to attend meetings and who may be inconvenienced by computer access are posted our comprehensive Quarterly Newsletter.)
CORRESPONDENCE IN & OUT
- Re Fred Gfeller Funeral – refer to Website Home Page, No Guard of Honour or Flag, but all encouraged to support, Jackets and Medals. https://northbeach-rsl.asn.au
- Sub-Branch Signal.
- David Lewis – important information re Unclaimed Funeral Benefits: Refer Website or Exec.
- Back to the Barracks Lecture – Fremantle Army Museum. 6 July.
- Agenda items included below
- 2022 State Congress, this Saturday- Delegate acceptances/Notice of Motion re Insurances.
- Advocacy Training and Development promotion.
- Crime Stoppers – Illegal Gun Campaign.
- National Service Petition – recognition at 70 if not health card covered.
- Employment Opportunities for Veterans – Newsletter.
- RSL Money/Australian Military Bank – New account opening preparing for Term Deposit lodgment. (2.60% for 24 months $40k “Contingency” Funds).
- RSLWA – Follow up to proposed independent Email “Hosting”.
- Hillarys/Sorento Marina – “Letter of thanks and update on our activities to Hillarys Marina Management relating to our continued approval to utilise Gazebo until 30 June 2023”
- Gmail/BigPond “Testing”!!
Nil Business Arising from Correspondence – Carried forward as required to General Business:
Acknowledgement of Correspondence matters, Moved by Peter Hodgson and Seconded by Greg Young. Carried.
Treasurer David King provided a comprehensive report and Balance Sheet of our finances and provided a copy for each table. An explanation of financial transactions and account balances was provided. Reiterated: $15 N.B.B.C. Social Membership now due to David King please. And, confirmation of Term Deposit roll-over to “RSL Money/Australian Military Bank as per Correspondence.
Grant Funds expenditure to date and anticipated purchase updates, as noted in Peer Health/Kayaking report. Nil – Business Arising from Treasurers Report
Moved by Gary Jones and Seconded by Michael Healy that “the Treasurer’s Report be accepted” Carried.
President JR had much pleasure in announcing the awarding of RSLWA Life Membership to our Member GREG GOUGH. Greg’s has provided over 20 years of unrelenting service to our Sub-Branch in members and family welfare, and DVA procedures including home and hospital visits, transporting members to meetings and much more. More than Well Done that Man and accorded a rousing reception.
Also recognised at the State Congress was the 50 year RSLWA Membership of our member Peter Long who was on hand to receive his Certificate.
However, our Sub-Branch could only be the closest of runners-up to Joondalup in this years “Newdegate Cup” for heavy-weight Champ, 2023 pre-season training now underway!
Again, as Alex Lennox advised that he will not be renominating as Warden at the AGM. (From 4.00pm 8th August). As a result, a position of Warden will be available at the August Annual General Meeting. Interest from Members in this Position is now sought, and Nominations must be submitted on our Election Nomination Form no later than 6 July 2022. Election Nomination Forms are available from the President John Rolfe, Secretary Wayne Koch, or Website Editor Brian Jennings.
Guest Speaker – Mitch CAUBO: Defence & Veterans Legal Service.
To contact: 1800 33 1800. www.defenceveteranslegalservice.org.au
Also Links from https://northbeach-rsl.asn.au/members/
“Free, independent legal support to participate in the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide.”
A fantastic coverage by Mitch, the charter above says a lot, (Free), but Mitch’s address went far beyond, expanding to, but not limited to:
- Confidentiality, Local Access, written, audio and verbal access, can include family and Carers.
- Compelling 20-year statistics requires the broadest input of experiences of all significances.
- Services Transitioning, and lifetime matters ongoing. Case by Case.
- Strongest assistance to prepare and engage your story. Cooperative nonthreatening environment.
- No interference to existing “cases” underway, DVA, Ombudsman or any other.
- Ability to refer General Legal matters.
- Easy contact as per Mitch’s details above, including through our President and Secretary, anytime.
Greatly appreciated by all and those who spoke to Mitch after the meeting. Solid round of applause.
Welfare – Greg Gough advised that he is back to walking fine after his procedure, not so good news re Rick Love, though being well looked after still bound to wheel-chair physiotherapy. Stay Safe All.
Peer Health: AL/WK Veterans Health Week 1 – 9 October, Dietary theme, $720 Grant applications from this month.
Alex Lennox, Doug Mann and Wayne Koch as per Correspondence, investigating Kayak and other purchases relating to the “Better Communities” Grant.
Web Site: Brian Jennings advised re the access to information and resources through the many permanent, regularly updated Links on our website: https://northbeach-rsl.asn.au/
Brian asked members if they had special interest in military events that they would like as a Homage to contact him prior to monthly meetings.
Social Activities Coordinator
Future outings – PM Scheduling/Member notifications are known to be in order. e.g.: Anzac House few spots left, own transport Noon, 22 June 20July Freo Tunnels, Bus and Lunch Ciccerello’s usual timely advice to members. https://northbeach-rsl.asn.au/nb-events/
GENERAL BUSINESS –
- Meeting Commencing Times: Confirmed by strong majority of show of hands that meeting commencement time will continue to be 5pm, (excepting AGM Aug 8th, 4pm).
- “Rip” Couston – advised this year’s “Bush Bash” will be the Holland Track, closer to home due to fuel costs.
- Following an enquiry from the floor, members were advised that GST was not payable as a result of EFTPOS collections over ANZAC Week.
- Jeff Fogarty moved a vote of thanks to Vince Connelly for his parliamentary service over the last three years and was given a round of applause.
MEETING CLOSED – 17:45
NEXT MEETING – Monday 11 July 2022 at 17:00
62 members paid for meals (plus WW2 Veterans who courtesy of our Sub-Branch do not pay for their meals). Dinner Arrangements – Ladies and Older Veterans to be given the usual courtesy of “First Serve” of our Caterer Kenny’s Bangers and Mash, Peas & Gravy with buttered bread.
Thanks go to Trolley Guns, Stu Young and Stew Davies; and serving and clean up members Brown, McGrath, Healy, Gorddard, Dwyer and McGuinness.
Also well served were the Raffle Winners, Peta Connolly and Jim Muscat. Well played.
Note from Secretary: Members are advised that details of the Joondalup Hub are on our website, along with other providers of Advocacy support. Joondalup Hub is contactable 24/7 on 04370 378 498.