MEETING OPENED at 17:00, President John Rolfe welcomed 107 members and recited the Ode.
HOMAGE FOR SEPTEMBER
On 8 September 2022 Elizabeth 11, the Queen of the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth realms, the longest reigning British monarch died.
Upon the Queen’s death her eldest son Charles immediately became King of the United Kingdom and 14 other Commonwealth realms.
Governor General David Hurley has proclaimed Charles 111 as the ruling monarch of Australia in accordance with the Constitution. This was signed by General Hurley and countersigned by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
The Oath of Allegiance for all members of the Australian Defence Force will now read along the lines of:
“I (name) swear that I will well and truly serve His Majesty King Charles the Third, His Heirs and Successors according to law, as a member of the (branch of service) and that I will resist his enemies and faithfully discharge my duty according to law”
This oath has been changed only slightly since the time of Australia’s involvement in the conflict in Sudan in 1885.
The events of the last week have been significant in history, as the majority of Australians have only known one sovereign, and that was Queen Elizabeth 11.
We now look forward to a new era and I propose a toast:
“To King Charles 111”
Members toasted absent friends.
Lest We Forget
APOLOGIES – Approximately 29 noted by the Secretary by RSVP emails and advised in the register recorded by attending members. Many thanks.
NEW MEMBERS/VISITORS / GUESTS:
Pleased to welcome: Bob Meehan, 39 Class App Fitter and Machinist, Jimmy Wrenn also 39 Class Apprentice, PTI and now Dog handler both active service in Afghanistan.
Also, Banjo West, “POM” Royal Navy, clearance Diver and long time now in WA surrounds.
Don McPhail, Army, recently 9 Battalion – All Heartily acknowledged.
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING.
Minutes of 8th August, having been available by email, website and hard copy, considered as read.
Moved by Blue Jones and Seconded by Greg Young that “the Minutes of the previous meeting be accepted”.
Noted, All in Favour & Carried.
Secretary again reminds Old & New members that easy access to current and recent minutes, our By-Laws and Annexure are via our website: https://northbeach-rsl.asn.au/category/meetings/
CORRESPONDENCE IN & OUT
- Queen Elizabeth II Govt/RSL notifications of her sad passing and ascension of King Charles III. Elizabeth II photo to be suitably draped in black until photo of King Charles111 is available.
- RSLWA 2022-23 Sub-Branch Questionnaire. Submitted on time.
- Lottery West Grant application, Submitted
- RSLWA – ANZAC Day 2023, due 25 August BL/PB, “Writeable” PDF. (Other from Jan WK/’23) Fly Past and Two-up.
- RSLWA – Membership Form and procedural updates.
- Confirmation of appointment new RSLWA CEO, Vince Connolly.
- RSLWA – Annual Financial Template, due 31 October.
- Agenda items included below from Management meeting 8 July.
- RSLWA $90 Remittance Advice.
- 10 x Kayak purchases and equipment via “Anaconda” $5454.84 from $20k Community Grant.
- Poppy Day – RSLWA, Appeal Rostering/Bookings and Supplies.
- Bowling Club Functions continue.
- Saluting Service Grant – Awaiting Cabinet, Honour board and other Quotes.
- Stronger Communities $20k Grant: Email us | business.gov.au Erin 07 3227 4723
Nil Business Arising from Correspondence – Carried forward as required to General Business:
Acknowledgement of Correspondence matters, Moved by Peter Edwards and Seconded by Tom May. Carried.
Treasurer David King provided a comprehensive report and Balance Sheet of our monthly finances and provided a copy for each table.
An explanation of financial transactions and account balances was provided. Secretary following up 2 apparent “rogue” transactions that the ANZ debited to our Welfare account, remain under notice.
*$15 N.B.B.C. Social Memberships due all annually. Allows us to us these premises with limited overheads. Check with Treasurer and Management Committee.
- Business Arising from Treasurers Report – Nil. Moved by Russell Couper and Seconded by Barry Morgan that “the Treasurer’s Report be accepted”. Carried. Applause Acknowledged.
Welfare – Greg Gough advised re condition of the following remain under notice: Rick Love (fair), Peter Harris (Leg), Graham Snook back on deck, Irish Keegan and Peter and Barry Anon knees.
- $1500 Gopher for Sale – ½ price as new See Owen Vladich, 0417 416 294.
Stay Safe All.
Peer Health: Wayne Koch and John Rolfe:
Formal approval pending: Veterans Health Week 19 October and beyond, Dietary theme, $720 Grant applications still pending. Wednesday 19 October excursion to Jarrahdale for Excursion and walking. Book now with Paul McGuinness, cost $15.00 for Bus plus buy your own lunch at the Tavern. Further information to be advised.
Plus, a second $720 available for a Healthy Pizza Night, Cooking for One?! (Info coming from firstname.lastname@example.org 9366 8339, who is also available to speak at any of our meetings.
Kayaks & Grant Update – purchases relating to the Stronger Communities Grant, moving forward very satisfactorily.
- $4.6k Grant funds uncommitted and being considered by Management Committee.
- Kayak Trailor to require reconfiguration to accommodate the increased stock, Pappas quote to include Licensing.
Remembrance Day 2022/Anzac Day 2023 Update – Barry Lloyd and Peter Bowring.
BL – Remembrance Day, Anzac 2023 Compliance requirements on schedule and proceeding, including FLY Past and Two-Up confirmations.
PB – Update of volunteer force of 70 heading into Remembrance Day, 11 venues to be serviced including 2-day stint at Bunning Balcatta Friday and Saturday 4th and 5th Nov. Extended times at our usual Shopping Centre’s, co-operation assured, plus Train station when confirmed. Rosters organised, but additional volunteers called for.
$200 Bar Snacks approved following 11 November Remembrance Day Service.
Brian Jennings advised that he and Helen Burgess compiling information and content. Advised meeting of article about our Sub-Branch on DVA e-News site.
Kapooka March Out Link provided by David Lewis emailed to members by member Secretary.
- Outings Updates – Paul McGuinness Scheduling/Member notifications in order. e.g.: CERVANTES Lobster Shed Wed 21 SEPT $30ph, XMAS 23 Nov $70ph 13 x 10 Tables, Table Captains required. Beverage restrictions tba. At Hillarys Yacht Club, venue selection as per earlier meetings.
- 2023 Tour of Duty Esperance – Wed 22 March to Monday 27th, 40 Bus Capacity, costings underway. See Paul to book. 0417 181 025.
More details re all activities, here: northbeach-rsl.asn.au)
- 4 Wheel Drive Crew – Last chance to participate, refer Rip Couston, 0467 960 552
- Cycling Group Recruiting – see Tommy May, 0413 200 589
- Discussion on microphone effectiveness and other housekeeping.
- President advised action he has taken re the unauthorised removal of the Australian Flag from the North Beach Memorial.
MEETING CLOSED – 17:47
NEXT MEETING – Monday 10th October 2022 at 17.00
107 attended meeting with 78 members paying for meal. Thanks to Gate Keepers Bill Kynaston and Jim Muscat, (and WW2 Veterans who courtesy of our Sub-Branch do not pay for their meals).
Dinner Arrangements – Ladies and Older Veterans to be given the usual courtesy of “First Serve” of our Caterer Kenny’s Shepherds’ Pie & Gravy with Mixed Vegetables/ buttered breads.
Thanks go to Trolley Guns, Stewie Davies, Peter Dales and Trevor Beegan; and serving and clean up members Gorddard, Brown, McGrath, Rowles, Dwyer, Edwick.
Also well served were the Raffle Winners, Peter Dales, Ron Brown, and Andy Robinson. Well played.
Note from Secretary, 0407 478 963: Members are advised that details of the Joondalup Hub are on our website, along with other providers of Advocacy support.
Joondalup Hub is contactable 24/7 on 04370 378 498.